Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Planning and plotting...

Well, I have been thinking for a bit on what I really want for myself, and from myself, in regards to this blog.

This post my not be very coherent as I got very little sleep last night, and I might be wise to wait on this post until later, but then again, I might never post it if I wait. So, here goes.

This may be ego, this may be pride, this may just be proper desire to have my work appreciated, but I would like to build a regular readership base. I would like to have readers who are "my" readers, not just people my friends and family have sent this way as a favor to me. I would like to have people put my blog on their RSS feeds because they have a genuine interest in what I have to say.

Which means I need to expect a few things from myself. Darn.

I believe the rules of capitalism are true to a great many things, and this is one of them. If I want to have eyeballs on my blog, or "customers" in my "store," than I need to provide good content, or good "products." Or, as many web comic artists and writers reply when asked how to succeed in web-comics, "Don't Suck."

I also need to provide a consistent product. I need to post on a regular, hopefully predictable, basis with a content one can expect to of a particularly good quality. Maybe not Time Magazine quality, but worth reading.

I will need to create some either very niche specific or broad based content. Both can be good, but I think I will choose the latter. I could focus all my writing on Faith, or Politics, or Nosehairs, but that only will last so long for me, and I tend to wander in my thoughts.

I should also consider if I need to have a minimum length. Dropping by just to see "I HATE POLITICS!!!!111!!!!" isn't really worth while, but then requiring myself to write a thousand words when only five hundred will do is also a little silly. This bears thinking on. And will likely not be decided today.

So, out of this, I would appreciate some feedback on what ya'll (yes, I live in the south) think on what I have already written, on what I have listed as this blogs topics, what interests you, etc. I basically am trying to do some "Market Research" for my readership. So, if you please answer a few questions for me in the comments section, I would greatly appreciate it.

On a scale of 1 (Don't care/know nothing about Topic) to ten (This topic is my bread and butter of life), please let me know how you feel about the following topics. Feel free to add a short response as well.

1. American History - Politics

2. American History - Economics

3. American History - Industry and Commerce (more a Culture, then the way money flows.)

4. Current American Politics

5. Current American Economics

6. Current American Industry and Commerce

7. Faith issues, with a heavy bent towards Christian Evangelical Protestantism.

8. Retail/customer service gripes, experiences (from both sides of the counter) and cheers.

9. Computer tech geekery.

10. Gaming culture/subculture.

11. Books/movies/tv shows with a HEAVY emphasis on plot and character. (Warning, I have most of a degree in Theatre.)

12. My cat.

13. Family Issues.

14. FOOD! (Not likely to be a main topic, but you never know)

15. Puns.

Please also give a short, one sentence response to the following:

Which way do you lean on American Politics, if you care?

What are your basic beliefs when it comes to Faith?

Are you someone who cares a lot about the service you get from a restaurant or store?

Do you like to read, watch movies/tv, or play video games? Which ones?


Feel free to only answer ones you care about, I just want to get a feel for where you folks are at and what ya'll are looking for. Thanks.

The Writer. (of doom.)

No comments: